Saturday, February 12, 2011

Week 1, Feb. 21-27, Introduction and Chapter 1: Motivation



Hello students and welcome to PDC 124!  Take a look at my video introduction above.  Please introduce yourself and maybe share a photo or video of yourself as one of your postings this week. 

This class is especially useful for those of you who want to understand yourself better and choose a major and career that matches your gifts and talents.  The class also meets a general education requirement for transfer to state universities.  If this is your first class in college, you are off to a good start.  If you are a continuing student, you will greatly benefit also.  You will  become familiar with some great new learning tools that will make your future education easier.  Since the course is online, you can do the work anytime or any place during the week.  For best results, be sure to set aside time for working on this class each week and not wait until the last minute to do the work . 

We will begin with some ideas for motivation which is the key to success in most endeavors.  Please read Chapter 1 in CollegeScope before commenting on any of these questions.  You can also write or ask questions about anything related to college and career success or comment on others students' postings.  Remember to make 2 postings of 100 words minimum for each posting to get the full 20 points for the blog this week.  Postings for this week are due before 11:59 p.m. on Sunday,  February 27. 

1.  How do you motivate yourself to be successful?
2.  Are there some new ideas on motivation in Chapter 1 that you find interesting or helpful?
3.  If you are thinking about dropping this class or dropping out of college, how can you motivate yourself to continue?
4.  What are some roadblocks to your success and how can you overcome them?

43 comments:

  1. This is a new blog. Be the first student to make a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To make a comment, click on comments. You will be asked to Select a Profile. Select Google account and set up an account. It is free. You just need to enter your email address and create a password. In the future, you can just select Google Account and log in to make comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there....My name is Janine and I'm very excited to be taking this course. I currently live in Northern California but will be relocating to San Diego the first week of April. I'm very excited about the change and can't wait to be in the warm weather!!!! I'm a very outdoorsy person and love to hike. I've hiked Half Dome in Yosemite and Mt. Lassen twice. I also enjoy riding my dirtbike, gardening and drinking a great cup of Starbucks coffee in the morning (nothing starts my day off properly than a nice cup of hot coffee). Good luck to everybody!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Everyone. My name is Steven, and I am also very excited to be enrolled in this course with all of you. I am from San Diego and currently live in Santee. I enjoy outdoor activities, all sports, and reading. Anyways, I know this course will help all of us based off what I've read so far in College Scope. Our College Scope text talks a lot about motivation and personal success. Personally, I like to write my goals down and read through them weekly. I know there are many ways to stay motivated and succeed. I would love to hear from everyone how they stay motivated and focused in everyday life. But for now I'll say good luck to everyone taking this course, and I hope everyone discovers how much potential they really have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my names zainab, i'm 18 years old and i'm also very excited to be enrolled in this course. I am from san diego california, i have two brothers and one sister i like to write poems and play sports. i'm very excited to take this course and the teacher seems very nice. My major is to be a cosmotologist i like to do hair and nails, i hope i can succseed and achieve my dreams. Good luck to everyone taking this course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Susan and I am a native San Diegan. In addition to having a 12 year old son, I have a 26 year old daughter who just had her first child less than 2 weeks ago. I am excited to be a grandma, and I am happy to be a student in this course. Motivation, self-confidence, and self-reliance are all important aspects of success. I plan to get the most out of this course as I possibly can. I would imagine that anyone taking this course is in it to improve his or her self. Good luck to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone! My name is Adriana Carlos. I am originally from Los Angeles but I have been loving San Diego for the past three years. I will be starting college next year so I am really looking forward to learning more about myself before such a big step in life. My interests include drawing, installations, and architecture, which also happens to be my intended major. I should be receiving news from the colleges that I applied to within the next few weeks which is pretty exciting. I hope to be successful but more importantly, happy. I am curious as to what this course can teach me and I intend on trying my best to succeed. Good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, my name is Moriah. I am very excited to begin this class as well. I am a junior in high school and have been home schooled most of my life. I love photography, drawing, running, church, and working with little children "especially preschoolers." I am looking forward to this experience because it is my very first online college class - so, this is all relatively new to me. I have not selected a major yet and hope that as the semester goes on I will begin to figure that out. I am determined to do well in whatever I choose, and am looking forward to the rest of the semester. Good luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there my name is Jessica. After just completing chapter one of this course, it has far exceeded my expectations. I decided to take this class because it meets one of the requirements for my major (communications with an emphasis in entertainment studies), and I can confidentley say that I am extremely excited to be enrolled. I have never been the best student, but I can't wait to change that. I already feel more motivated and excited for my future. Good luck to everyone! I have a really good feeling about this class! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello everyone. For the past few days I've been thinking about all the ways I stay motivated. The best way I stay motivated is by reading my journal with my lifetime goals. When I look at my lifetime goals it helps me concentrate on my studies and important tasks. Another way I stay motivated is by thinking about my bright future. I know all the work I put into class and studying will eventually pay off. If you ever feel like dropping out of college, you should consider you're life without a college education. College pays off, and that should be everyones motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello everybody!! My name is Mercy im currently 20 years of age and my birthday is June 1st! Im currently looking forward to this great big 21 experience and heading up to Vegas for the first time in my life!! I cant wait! Well currently this is my second semester in school but the first one i managed to drop out because of personal issues that i was going through but this time around im ready to commit to my education because without it i dont believe ill ever get far.. for my career i have planned to become a kindergarten teacher and be the best that i can be with the little ones.Im really outgoing and love everything and anything life has to bring me! Anyways i look forward to this wonderful course and getting to know a little more about me then i ever knew when it comes to life managment and other categories that this class will be teaching me! Have a good one guys and lets start this!! :)

    ps: i love SEAFOOD & OLIVE GARDEN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi everyone. My name is Jerell Gayden. I'm 21 years old and I'm excited to be taking PDC 124. I was born and raised in San Diego, but now I currently live in Spring Valley. I like to surf the Interet, watch TV, listen to music, and hang out with my family and friends. I'm taking this course because its apart of my requirements. This is my fourth year in Cuyamaca College and I plan on graduating this semester, along with completing my major and getting my degree. My major is in Business Administration and I've been getting a lot of information out of it, especially management. I look forward to know everything about this course. Best of luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i believe what keeps me motivated to be succesful is reminding me of my ambitions and goals in life. One example would probably be that remind myself of how much i want to stay in school and for the reasons, waking up really early makes me think why am i doing this? and i keep reminding myself because i want my education and i want to be able to one day say and look back and feel proud of myself for coming so far in my life. When hard times come my way as i began to feel like giving up i just start by naming all the reasons as to why im doing the things im doing and where i will be in a few years from now if i wouldnt make a change for myself it keeps me striving for an extra push on myself everyday.Just remind yourself that you can do it, nobody can make you do anything you dont want.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello everyone, My name is Jose. I'm 18 years old and this is my 1st semester in college. So far It's been a great experience. As of now im still undecided on my major, but I'm leaning towrds something in computers. I'm the 1st one in my family to attened college so I'm trying my best to set an example for my 3 younger brothers. I think a great way to motivate your self is looking to the future and imagining that you have accomplished your goals and your enjoying the career you have chosen. I motivate myself by trying to set an example to my brothers and showing them they can succeed as well. Some roadblocks that can possbily be in my way might be procrastinating and wating till the last minute to do an assignment, but I am confident that I will motivate myself enough not to do that. With that said, I wish everyone a good time in this course!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello. My name is Laurence. I am 26 years old and have lived here in San Diego for all life. Besides the rain today, I would have to say I am pretty blessed to live here.

    This is my first semester back in college since 2007 and while the road has been rough, I feel I am back on the right track to finish up. I jumped into some pretty serious courses such as managerial accounting, spanish two, and business calculus because I want to finish as soon as possible. It's amazing how much easier school is when you study, who would have thought? Besides all that, snowboarding and golf are two of my favorite recreational activities, but I love all sports.

    I am looking forward to applying some of the things I learn here to other aspects of college life and hope to transfer to the SDSU business program as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi everyone! My name is Wendy, I'm 26 years old and I will major in Business Administration. Hopefully once that is done I plan to transfer to SDSU or even outside of San Diego to further my education.

    I love technology, photography, and of course spending time with my family. As of right now I haven’t had much luck with friends because I am too nice and people tend to use it against me by using me and then turning their back on me. That has actually been a huge road block for me because I’ve been one to get really down, depressed, and let that overcome me. Now I’ve actually tried to be very focus and remember that my education will help me succeed in life unlike friends will.

    After reading chapter 1 I realized that I need to be more focused, set up study times and not have the TV running in the background. I hope this semester goes great for everyone and I get to see some of you on campus one day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My motivation to be successful comes from my parents and all the doubters out there. I did very well in high school and could have easily transferred to a 4-year university, but personal issues and a lack of motivation resulted in a different path. My parents have been key to helping me get back on track personally and all the doubters have fueled me personally to prove them wrong and remind them that success can be had for myself. When times get tough and I feel like school isn't for me, I need to remind myself that it isn't only about me.

    As for techniques, I liked the "be here now" concentration technique and the internal locus of control. The "be here now" technique can be helpful when my mind wanders, which is pretty often. I find myself daydreaming all the time during a study session, so reminding myself to stay in the moment can keep me going. The internal locus of control is the motivational technique that sticks out the most. For so long I blamed everyone around me for my struggles and failures rather than accept responsibility and do something about it. As long as I keep things in my control, everything will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are several ways that I motive myself to be successful, but the most important motivational tool for me is I always ask myself the following, “is this really the path that I want to go down or do I want more for myself?” Naturally, I always want more for myself. At times the path I have chosen isn’t the right one, so I chalk it up as a learning lesson, forge forward and use my experience as a learning tool to make changes and to keep me motivated.

    Some of the new motivation techniques I learned I have already used. I used the following statement “be here now” several times throughout the week and it worked for me. I work approximately 50 plus hours a week and my mind definitely wanders and saying those 3 words put my focus back where it needed to be. Funny how something so simple has such a huge impact.

    I have started and stopped school several times, because “life” just seems to get in the way. I never say that I dropped out of school, I always tell myself I’m on a slightly longer vacation. I just don’t believe in quitting, professional or personal, this word is just not in my vocabulary! So because time, work or money at some point has put a wrench in my plans I’ve always persevered. I always analyze the situation at hand, come up with a solution and deal with it. It may take some time, but there is always a solution to any bump or hiccup.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My motivation to be successful comes from my mother. She gives me advice about staying focused in school and she has my best interest in heart. She went to college for herself and earn a bachelor's degree in Information Systems. Therefore, this is my chance to follow her footsteps and achieve my major, which is Business Administration. There's a couple of techniques that I find interesting are: the "increase your activity" and "find an incentive or reward" technique. The "increase your activity" ability is something I like to do because it helps you maintain your focus on the task at hand. As for the "find an incentive or reward" technique, I end up rewarding myself with either watching TV shows or listening to music on my iPOD.

    If I made a decision to drop out of college, I would end up finding a full-time job, in order to keep myself up. Some roadblocks that might stand in my way are: lack of confidence and waiting on the last day to study before an exam. Throughout my time in college, I've learn to have faith and beilieve in myself, whenever I'm in doubt. I have to study each subject immediately after class, so I can save myself time to get prepared for exams. Overall, college should always be your motivation, to achieve success.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello everyone. My name is alvaro and I’m 25 years old and will major in history. I find myself to be motivated when I need to be. It’s very difficult to become motivated unless I have a goal in mind. But even then that goal must be something I need in order to get that satisfaction I want. I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m only doing what is necessary for me to get by. What I’m hoping to learn with this class is to better understand the different techniques there are for me to achieve more then what just gets me by. I started my career early in the Navy and I plan on serving as long as I can. What I do really requires me to be self motivated and confident in what I do. So I am, I’m confident in the work I complete and the long hours I put in to make things as best as they can be. But I feel there is more that I can be doing. And so I’m doing this now to push those barriers before me and become better then what I am now. I don’t seek any help from any one unless I absolutely have to have someone there. I have in the past asked for help and motivation, mostly from God, and I have done the best I could. I know I’ll finish what I have started. But gaining that strength and knowledge for motivation is something I need to better understand.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How do I motivate myself? I remind myself that I have unrealized potential, and that one of my goals is to set an example for my kids by being successful and committed. Each week I make a list of what I need to complete. I try to spend at least 3 hours each evening (not counting weekends) on my schoolwork, and I do my work after everyone has gone to bed. This works best for me because I can really focus knowing I won’t be interrupted. I try to make myself eat breakfast, and always get plenty of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi my name is Alina Felix. The way i reward my self is by giving my self Health rewards. If i finish my school work on time and have extra time to do something I like I go to the Gym. If I finish my schooling and my gym work out for the whole week then i Allow my self to go out with my friends on the weekend. If you are thinking about dropping this class you should not do it. This class will help you understand your self more to help you be successful in college. A road block for me right now is finding a job I graduated from SDSU last year and still haven't found a job so i decided to keep going to school and learning until i find one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Everyone!! I am kind of new to Blogging, so hopefully I am doing this right. My name is Alina Felix I lived in San Diego my whole life. Last night it snowed at my house that was pretty cool. When its hot and sunny out outside unlike this weekend I enjoy being out doors. I love going to the beach i surf a little and enjoy doing boxing. I love to eat yummy food and visit Old Town and love Olive Garden just like Mercy!! well I hope you all the best in this class and talk to all of you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Mercy! Congrats on almost turning 21! I am pretty sure you will enjoy Las Vegas I love it there. You Should definitely check out TAO beach and night club while you are there. Try and look up online if a band you like is play out there around the time of your birthday those are always fun to go see. The last time I went my friends and I saw a few DJ's at the Palms that was alot of fun too. Well it was nice meeting you on here and hope you enjoy this class. Alina :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I’ve thought about dropping classes because of my heavy work schedule but then I think to myself that all the hard work will pay off and I am not the only one that goes through this kind of daily schedule. I also remember that my parents have worked long hours all their life to give my sisters and myself a better opportunity in life and that motivates me to keep going and not give up on my goals. Not every day will be easy but as long as I push myself to keep going and remember my short-term goals I know I will be fine and I will succeed this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi everyone my name is Thomas and I'm 18. I motivate myself to be successful by rewarding myself after I have finished an assignment. There aren't any motivation ideas in chapter 1 I find interesting. I have thought of dropping out of college and I motivate myself to continue because if I do drop out my family will be disappointed. A roadblock to my success is procrastination and I can overcome it by not waiting till the last minute to do my assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi! My name is Christina and I am 19 years old. I have always been the type of person to be focused on school and any other priorities I had growing up. I grew up in a single-parent household where my mom was taking care of my two brothers and I. Ever since I could remember, my mom was very hard working. She always kept two or more jobs, made time to bond with us, and was even home enough to enjoy a nice dinner with us. Although the circumstance she was in was not the easiest, she never gave up. Now, I am old enough to take care of myself. I no longer have my mom to tell me when to go to school, do my homework, and balance personal interests as well. I am a self motivator. I motivate myself by establishing a goal, and a positive outcome for that goal. While I am attempting to accomplish the goal, I keep in mind that outcome and how it will effect my future. I also motivate myself by remembering all the hard work my mom put into her education, raising 3 children, and attaining a few jobs. Through all of that she was able to get her masters degree. That is one of her greatest accomplishments that she is proud of and I would love to feel the way she did when she finished. I know that through my journey in school everything will not come easy, but with hard work and dedication I will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi! (again) My name is Christina and I am 19 years old. This is my second year as a college student and my first year at Cuyamaca. I was born and raised in San Diego with my mom, dad, stepmom, three sisters and two brothers. I am very athletic and I love sports. For four years in high school and my first year of college I played basketball as a point guard. This year, I lost interest in basketball and decided to try out for the Cuyamaca track team. Well, that ended right after I found out that I'm having a baby. Not sad a bout it at all but it sure does change my plans a little bit! Now, my main goal is to complete this semester to obtain my associates in University Studies: Social and Behavioral Sciences.Next Fall I plan to transfer to SDSU to complete my bachelors. I am very motivated to finish school while I am still young and have assistance from my parents. Thank God for my parents!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello all. My name is Yvonne Carter. I'm a Communications major at Cuyamaca. My plans are to transfer from Cuyamaca to SDSU. I'm finishing my first year and am loving it. I enjoy being able to take on-line classes because if offers me the flexibility I need. I have several employment interests that suit my major like law, social services and medical to name a few. I am currently considering going to law school after graduation. I currently work with children and enjoy it, on the juevenile dependent side of things. I am generally self motivated, although I do tend to procarastinate at times. I work well under pressure mostly because of my job, but would like to change that habit. Looking forward to this class.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello again. I find self motovation can be the way to acheive at a goal. Several times I have decided to do something big, like go on a trip or learn a new skill like play an instrument. For me, it has to start by deciding what I want. Then I figure out how am I going to get it. There is a sense of satisfaction when I achieve it after working hard for it. Last semeter was my first one. I had taken classes before, be not as a full time student. I decided that I was serious about getting my education and now I'm doing something about it. I made a 3.75 on my first semeter and that felt pretty good. I just have to learn more skills to help guide my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My motivation comes from my desire to be happy. I want to be able to succeed in what I do or at least figure out what it is that I need to do to be happy. I am currently waiting on news from colleges and am very excited about leaving high school.
    I really find affiliation motivation to be helpful. I have personally always enjoyed joining groups and meeting people with my same interests. Meeting other people helps develop and put ideas forth. This summer I plan on volunteering with Habitat for Humanity to meet others who also share an interest in construction.
    I think that by putting things into perspective or seeing things as a means to reach happiness, I will be able to find the motivation to continue in the case that I ever think about dropping out of this class or college.
    Some roadblocks that I might come across are growing up and getting used to living on my own. I will be moving out this summer and I know that it will take some time before I am able to fully adjust to the more independent lifestyle. The idea is very overwhelming since I've never really been away from my parents for a long period of time but I know that it will be for the best. Thinking about being able to pursue Architecture is very motivating and I'm sure that it will make the whole experience that much more rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello my name is Anthony Peterson. I just moved down here from northern California to attend college. I lived in Fairfield, CA my whole life prior to moving down to the San Diego area. I attended Dan-O-Root and B-Gale Wilson middle school for kindergarten through eighth grade. Then I attended a private school in Napa, CA for ninth grade known as Justin-Siena. Then moved to Armijo High School back in Fairfield for sophomore through senior year. I took my first semester of college off to get some things done that I wanted to get done in my life and to prepare myself for the transition to southern California.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello again. I just finished chapter one and it was a great wake up call/reminder for those who plan on being successful in college. It talked about study habits and ways to focus on your goals. The questions that were asked throughout the entire chapter were written to show the readers (who should all be students) how to find themselves and figure out what type of mindset and goals they should all consider having for college. I suggest that everyone soak in this chapter and use it for the rest of this course and definitely use it for your futures.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Right now, there isn't much motivation to make me successful, I am hoping to change that by taking this clas. And after reading chapter one, I already feel myself improving. I think the biggest thing that stuck out to me in chapter one was "be here now." Its so simple, yet so effective. If you find yourself not focusing, just go back to those three words. "Be here now." A good way to keep myself from dropping out of college or this course, is just to think of my future. Even though its still not perfectly clear in my mind, its a positive idea to keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, my name is ashley and i'm almost 19 years old. I'm very excited about taking this online class because I feel that it will be a great tool in learning how I can do better in my other courses so that I can graduate in two years and transfer to state. I love living in San Diego because of the great weather we have 99.9% of the time and all the great things we have to do here. I enjoy discovering new places to hang-out around town and love going to see the latest movies that come out. Although I especially love going to my local barnes and noble to see what new cd's or books have came out and then going to one of my favorite places to eat, panera, afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Reading chapter one was a great insight on learning what truly motivates me to keep going in school and trying my hardest to accomplish what I need to do in order to reach my goal. I thought it was very interesting when it talked about the inner verses the external motivations we have to pursue something. Especially when it explained that it is better to be passionate about something in one of our classes so that we will be more likely to succeed in that class. I especially agreed when it discussed learning better habits in order to study, by rewarding ourselves with something positive once we've accomplished a task for a class. I can relate to this because I sometimes find myself going out and enjoying my fun activity, only to later go and start my assignment that I need to complete for a class. This is something I definitely need to work on to succeed in my courses.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hello everyone, I'm Graciela and I'm 18 years old and I like going out just as long as it's fun and safe. But I especially love it when I go out with my friends because I can be me and still have fun. This is my second semester of college and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually liking it, even though I do sometimes feel so stressed that I just want to quit. But what keeps me going are my goals. I'm really looking foward into begginig this online class, because I for sure know that it would totally benefit me now and in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  41. After reading chapter one it has made me think back on how I motivate myself into being successful by going to college and getting myself a part time job. Which in the long run will totally help me out in the future because I'm furthering in my education and I'm getting practice and experience in the real world. And what motivated me was my family because they push me and encourage me to keep going to school, so that I can have the future that I want without having to struggle, which is totally true. But my biggest road blocker that sometimes keeps me from being successful is that I procrastinate all the time and I'm guessing that it's one of the biggest road blocker for most people out there. And I do sometimes just want to give up because of all the stress I get from work because of the hours and the stress from school because of the time I need to make to do my homework and study for the exams. But what also kept me going is my goal and promise I made to myself when I enrolled into college, which was to make someone intelligent and responsible out of myself. And when in doubt always tell yourself to keep going and never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello everyone , My name is attas mohamed. i am 23 years old. I live and grew up in san diego. I love to just be with my friends during my free time. I have been going to cuyamaca and grossmont for a couple of years. I am just excited to take this class because it will help me out on choosing a major. there is no way i am dropping out of this class.

    ReplyDelete
  43. To motivate myself to be successful, I try to tell myself that I have a mission in life to accomplish. This will be hard work, but it will pay off. Think of the people you will be helping. I am meant to help people become their healthiest by educating them about what it takes to be healthy. Yes of course the things I read are very valid and important to my success. I am not going to drop out of college. I will continue to tell myself what my purpose is in life, and appreciate the opportunity to learn.
    Some of the road blocks are myself talk, and not being in school for 30 years! I have to relearn and have faith I can do this! Everything and anything I can learn to promote me is so important, appreciated and welcomed. I can listen to what is being taught and listen to those around me who remind me the importance of what I am doing.

    ReplyDelete