I enjoyed reading all our comments on memory and reading techniques last week. Knowing some of these techniques can make studying so much more efficient and less stressful. Distributing the practice is my favorite technique. The brain works better with small amounts spaced out over time with frequent review. It is easy and powerful.
This week read the chapter on taking notes, writing and speaking and then make two comments on any of these topics:
Psychologist and philosopher William James said, “The essence of genius is knowing what to overlook.” How can you take steps toward being a genius by being selective at school, at work or in your personal life?
Many students have difficulties with writing assignments because of writer’s block. Read the section on writer’s block in the text and comment on some ideas that you can use to overcome it.
Write some intention statements about what you will do to become a better writer or note taker.
Ask a question or discuss any aspect of college success that is relevant to your college experience at this point.
“The essence of genius is knowing what to overlook.”
ReplyDeleteI believe that the steps i can take in order to be selective in my personal life is regards to this quote is actually thinking about what is outside the box before i take any initiative. Being smart, and understanding i guess you can say will take you far in life, like you cant stay stuck on something tragic that occurred in your life for instance because you will be stuck, setting yourself back and not knowing when to get up and continue walking. I believe you have to the steps your taking before you take them and be wise when doing so.
I think a few ideas that you can use to overcome writers block would be to keep yourself inspired and like the psychologist and philosopher William James said, “The essence of genius is knowing what to overlook.” I personally dont have any problems with writing assignments, if i were told to write an essay on a certain subject i would follow my essay guideline and go off on my freewriting just writing down every thought that came to my mind. A great idea i'd suggest is just grabbing a paper and brainstorming all your thoughts and ideas, and most of all always remind yourself " i can do this". Another thing so a person doesnt stress as much is just breaking the assignment down into little pieces and starting off one by one, maybe even talk to a friend and get some ideas from the friend if you dont quiete understand or want different ideas.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMany students have difficulties with writing assignments because of writer’s block. Read the section on writer’s block in the text and comment on some ideas that you can use to overcome it.
ReplyDeleteI am a successful note taker but I have many problems when it comes to writing a good paper. When it comes to writing a paper, I tend to lose focus and it is hard for me to start. I guess that means I get writer's block. After reading the chapter and learning techniques on how to prevent writer's block, I plan to practice a couple of the ideas. One prevention idea that I plan to do before every paper is brainstorming. Brainstorming will allow me to make sense of all the scatter that goes through my head. I can jot down all the information and pick and choose what to use for my paper and that willgive me a good push to get started on the main ideas I want to cover.
“The essence of genius is knowing what to overlook.” How can you take steps toward being a genius by being selective at school, at work or in your personal life?
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this quote by psychologist and philosopher William James, I realized that I have been living my life by this quote. I try to be positive in my abilities to be successful and not dwelling on the negatives in my life. In school, I try not to let little things get me off track; like bad writing kills. I just try my best and I usually succeed. It's not good to focus on what you don't have, or what you don't know how to do. Recognize the issue and learn how to fix it instead of letting it hold you back.
In the case of having writers block, I think something that would be useful would be to not stress yourself out to much with it. Get a piece of paper and brainstorm for a while and see what you can come up with. I normally do not have this problem. I love writing and brainstorming for ideas about a certain topic. I think that if you take it one step at a time you can always find the words to use in an essay and if you are having an extremely hard time with it, you can always ask a friend or colleague for some advice.
ReplyDeleteWriter's block is something that most college students deal with. For me writer's block usually results from lack of preparation, stress over a paper, or trying to achieve perfection. Throughout my school years, my confidence with writing and reading was always low. These last two years have been so good to me, only because I've started to put an extra effort into my papers. I spend more time on essays and I revise them at least two times. When I have an essay assigned, I always mark it on my calender, and set days aside to work on my paper. These techniques have increased my confidence in writing, and have virtually eliminated my writer's block problem.
ReplyDeleteNote taking, an ability college students and professionals need to master. I've always considered myself to be an excellent note taker. The reason I believe in my note taking skills, is because my test scores can back them up. I am very orderly with my notes. To be a good note taker, the student should always jot down the date, topic of discussion, and main ideas. You don't need to follow a structure or format to produce good notes. A good note taker is actively listening in class, while writing down the important material. If you are physically and mentally ready to take notes, go into class with a ready to learn attitude, and come prepared to take notes, your guaranteed to improve your note taking skills.
ReplyDeleteI like the quote some of the student's used up above that said "the essence of genius is knowing what to overlook." I constantly tell myself not to overanalyze things because most of the time the answer is right in front of me. I should always try to simplify things and not look too deeply into them. I shouldn't focus on the bad things that have happened but should look at them as a learning experience and allow those negative experiences to become positive ones. Congestion in life can be very hectic, so simplifying things and focusing on the big picture is the best thing to do.
ReplyDelete“The essence of genius is knowing what to overlook
ReplyDeleteIn my personal life I can try and look at the main points that I should be focus on and like reading skim for the important aspects and main ideas more then worrying and focusing my energy on the little things in life. I believe that everything happens for a reason so focusing on the main events in my life such as school, finding a job and eventual having a family of my own will all fall in place if I just focus on the main aspects of life now the details of my school classes my, future career and assignments and tasks I will have doing my job will all fall together in the end.
Writer’s block and Note taker:
ReplyDeleteWhen I have writers block I tend to take a break walk around and grab something to eat then sit back down look online look up similar papers articles and tips that have to do with the topic. During, reviewing online information I write a cluster diagram and write down all inspiring or interesting topics that may help me start writing. Then under each I try to write down 3 important details about them and create paragraphs for them and construct my paper.
For improving on my note taking I can focus more on putting more important examples into my notes so when reviewing I can go back and try them out. Also remember to review my notes right after class to help improve with questions I may have.
Writer's block has to be one of the worst feelings in the world. The pressure is on and when you can't put the pen to the paper, frustration sets in. Sometimes I have an idea of what I want to say but become overly concerned with the wording and overanalyze the situation when I shouldn't. I should take things step by step and begin by brainstorming ideas. Jumping into the paper right away will get me in trouble, so sitting back and putting thoughts together can help the writing process and not stress me out. Also, I should remind myself to relax when I do happen to stress out in the middle of a paper. A 5 or 10 minute break to regroup and gather myself can be helpful.
ReplyDeleteMany students have difficulties with writing assignments because of writer’s block. Read the section on writer’s block in the text and comment on some ideas that you can use to overcome it.
ReplyDeleteI am currently taking an English class where we are writing a total of six essays/term papers. Even being given the topic or subject matter before hand, writer's block is inevitable. Brainstorming is a must in order to begin to formulate an essay. Tossing around the thesis statement and topic sentences are now what I focus on. Not so much the format or length. I have written several papers in the last couple semesters. It's interesting that I got great grades on them. I realize now, how much better and more fluid the papers should have been. I'm pretty sure they had the right form, but not the topic sentences in each paragraph.
Psychologist and philosopher William James said, “The essence of genius is knowing what to overlook.” How can you take steps toward being a genius by being selective at school, at work or in your personal life?
ReplyDeleteI like this statement. It helps me to put into perspective what the important aspects of my personal life are. School is a priority for me right now. However, many people in my life do not understand the drive, focus or extent of its grasp on me currently. My friends, while supportive, don't quite get it. They seem to think of it more like a hobby you can walk away from when it gets boring, especially for them. My family, although understanding, still seeks most of my time and attention. For me to be able to continue my education, I have to overlook the unimportant stuff like; going to events that happen frequently, accepting my friends or family members are disapointed because I am not available when they want me or dislike my choices regarding my education. To me, it's worth it in the end.
Writer's block is the most difficult challenge that every college student has ever faced. I had to deal with reading and writing, and it doesn't feel good. However, throughout my time in school, I got used to it, while I was taking English classes. In the writer's block, you have to overcome time management and procrasination. I was able to do that by brainstorming ideas, using references from the computer and books, and finding a private place where I'm comfortable to complete my rough draft. Next, I read over the paper to the audience for feedbacks. If any, I go back over it and edit, to make it more specific. After that, I let someone else read over the rough draft for anymore revising. Then, I set up the final draft, which means I have to type up the changes that I made on the previous draft. Finally, I check to make sure I complete every step on the final paper, put it in a folder, and turn it in for a grade. Writer's block might not be my forte, but at least it'll help me improve my reading and writing skills.
ReplyDeleteNote taking is something that I'm very good in, when it comes down to getting prepared for quizzes, mid-terms, or exams. The reasons that I'm an excellent note taker is that I attend all of the class lectures, have the proper materials and writing down the main ideas. When an instructor goes too fast on the lecture, I listen very carefully for the important things that's being said in class. In addition, I keep different colors of highlighters with me, so I can mark the key ideas that will be talked about more often, later in the class. Then, I study over my notes and make up possible questions that could be asked on an exam.
ReplyDeleteWriter’s block is probably just a form of anxiety over your writing assignment. I would first put a stop to any negative conversations going on in my head, and start thinking positive thoughts. Then I would brainstorm without forcing or trying too hard, and defeating my purpose. If I still am unable to think of ideas about my assignment, then I would write about my writer’s block, just to get myself writing. Procrastination will only add to the anxiety. Browsing the web often helps me with ideas. I would also try a new method I learned of visualizing a mind map, and transferring it to paper.
ReplyDeleteSusan Barclay
I agree with Susan's comment on writer's block. The best way to start off an assignment is to think positively. It makes the frustration only a small road block and not a reason to quit. I would probably agree with the text and also write whatever comes to mind regarding the subject. Enough writing and thinking about what it is that I am about to write about helps better develop ideas and kind of see what direction the passage will go. I am a pretty chaotic writer so making a couple drafts would also help in making a more understandable essay. I also agree with Susan's idea of avoiding procrastination. It only adds to the anxiety and makes coming up with original thought harder than it really is.
ReplyDeletePsychologist and philosopher William James said, “The essence of genius is knowing what to overlook.” How can you take steps toward being a genius by being selective at school, at work or in your personal life?
ReplyDeleteApplying this idea to my everyday life would mean prioritizing according to what I believe is most important. This might mean taking my mom out to lunch rather than going out to a concert by myself. There would be more of an emotional benefit out of taking my mom out for lunch than being selfish. That's not to say that alone time isn't important but it can be overlooked at time.
In school, I think that it means to concentrate on what can help me learn or become more successful. This would mean working on things that are coming rather than on projects on which I have more time to work on. Studying for an exam is more important than working on a project that's not due until a month from now. I can work on the project after taking the test in order to more focused on it.
In note taking, I can go over the main ideas and only pay attention to the key details. Some people or dates might only be included to give some kind of context but not necessarily contribute to the overall meaning of what it is that I'm learning about.
“Many students have difficulties with writing assignments because of writer’s block. Read the section on writer’s block in the text and comment on some ideas that you can use to overcome it.”
ReplyDeleteI actually overcome writers block by just writing whatever comes to mind. I don’t find the proper places nor do I worry about spelling or punctuation. I can usually write about 3 or 4 pages with just brainstorming. I don’t worry too much about focusing on the specifics or “filler” words. If I know that a paper is due I always keep blank pages next to me so if I think of something that I want to put into my paper I can write it down as soon as I think about it, or else I will forget it. I know that writers block occurs when someone is nervous or really pressured to finish a paper, being pro-active and starting early on will help with writers block.
“Ask a question or discuss any aspect of college success that is relevant to your college experience at this point.”
ReplyDeleteI would just like to share that getting an education is not easy and I want to give kudos to everybody for setting goals for themselves and focusing on their education. Being that I’m older I can appreciate going to college more-so than when I was right out of high school and younger. I am more focused now and enjoy my classes, because it’s more important now. When I graduated from high school, I had a job, moved out, started supporting myself and worked to pay the bills. I never looked back and now that I’m older I should have taken the opportunity to stay at home and continue with my education. I had the mentality that I would “take a break” and go back, but the opportunity never came about. So at this point I know that my college education will be a success because I’ve gone down both paths, this is what I choose to do. So once again, kudos to everybody for sticking with it through thick and thin!!!!
Janine Woolard
Many students have difficulties with writing assignments because of writer's block.
ReplyDeleteAnd in those many students that have difficulties with writing because of writer's block includes me. I hate it when an assignment has to do writing because I'm not very good at it. And when I do get a writing assingnment I get all stressed out and go blank and have no idea on what to write about, I get writer's block. And some things I do to help me prevent writer's block is to write what comes out of my mind, and just go on and on until I run out of anything to write about. I also good back and read the material again about the subject to see if I can get any more information down on a paper. But in order to accomplish this I have to be in a quite place where I can sit and concentrate.
What I will do to become a better writer is to take some classes to help me better these skills that are really needed. Especially when I have to do a term paper or an assignment that has to do with writing. I can also help myslef by preparing ahead for any writing assignment. And then organize and write out by brainstorming anything that can help me out. Then go over my finished paper and edit and revise anything that can make out a well written out paper. And then when it comes to becoming a better note taker I can work on by learning to abbreviate most of the words said by the instructor so that I can get as much information onto the paper and organize them as well, so I would know what I wrote when it comes to reviewing the notes to prepare myself for a test.
ReplyDeleteI can become selective in school by sorting everything out. For example, I am currently taking five classes. At the end of my school day, I will sit down with my planner and go over my homework, projects, and studying. Deciding what is the most important, and numbering the rest after that. Instead of procrastinating, which I am really great at, I will start that project or homework right then and there, do as much as I can, take breaks here and there to re-focus myself, and continue on. This way, I will be more successful in all of my classes, and I will take some of the stress away, that I tend to add subconsciously.
ReplyDeleteI can become selective in my personal life by making a to-do list. I am a people-pleaser. Sometimes its great, but most of the time I end up getting hurt in the end. For example, I tend to make too many plans with friends, because I don't want to hurt someone's feelings, but I usually have to end up cancelling on someone. Also, I make plans when I should be studying or doing homework. If I make a to-do list, with the things I absolutely NEED to accomplish first, then work, and THEN play, my life will be a lot more organized and stress-free.
ReplyDeleteI plan to work on improving my note taking skills. Because lectures are a supplement to the text material, it’s important to get the most from them. I will go to class prepared, alert, and ready to focus. I like to sit toward the front of the room so that I can see and hear everything the instructor teaches. Listening carefully to what’s aid, I will pay attention to signal words, and abbreviate the key points. Immediately after class I will review my notes, and then periodically review throughout the semester.
ReplyDeleteSusan Barclay
If you write you're bound to get it: writer's block. This chapter had several suggestions for overcoming this dreaded plague on those who wield the pen or master the keyboards. Personally, I'm a fan of free writing. This technique allows you to type whatever comes to mind with no emphasis on logic, organization or grammar. It's loosens the mind and creativity is free to flow in any direction. Another suggestion is brainstorming, a technique first brought to my attention back in elementary school. It is essentially free writing but in the form of ideas and how they may relate and complement each other. It's a great way to see how you think about a topic with no restrictions. It can provide the stimulus for a great paper.
ReplyDeleteIn order to improve my writing skills, I need to work on writing a better thesis statement so that my reader can get a good understanding of what my main points for my paper are going to be about. I also would like to be better at not writing my paper last minute but instead write over a period of time to ensure that I'm turning ion my best work possible which would help get me a better grade for the class. Also, I need to be able to write a better conclusion so that I can summarize what my main points were and tell my reader about my overall thoughts on the subject.
ReplyDeleteIn order for me to become a better note taker, I will need to work on abbreviating my words and not writing down everything on the board/slides word for word so that I can get the most out of the allowed time to write the main ideas down.
A way to overcome writer's block while working on a paper for class, you can start my just writing freely any ideas or thoughts that come to your head on paper. This is something that you don't have to worry about being neat or having proper grammar because it is a step to help write your rough draft. It would also be a good idea to possibly link words with ideas that you can write your main points about. In order to come up with a subject for your paper, you can draw out a big cloud with words that can bring about ideas from which you can choose from that you could easily write a paper about. It is important to not get too upset and to take a break when you feel you are getting no where so that you can come back relaxed, ready to work!
ReplyDeleteTo improve my writing skills I would begin by writing down the main ideas I want to contribute into my paper. I would also do some library research and try to find information on the subject I have to write about. Another thing I can do is find something that I can personalize about the paper. This would make it easier and more enjoyable to write and also make it more enjoyable for others to read. When I read information I find that it is easier to remember and learn if there is a story involved with it. I would keep this in mind when trying to write.
ReplyDeleteI think I have very little problem to write because it was something that I started to make very small and that the doors opened to me in a job, is published every week my mom told me that I come down from the cloud but the cloud one day I feed my family for a longtime, and I like to write what is on my mind to how it will appear and if I read it and I madding or removing other things which is very good is to surround yourself with what you are writing this makes it feel more familiar with faster flow situation and the words, be clear what you mean that too much help, since you can better develop the story is good to note first the main points.
ReplyDeleteWrite some statements about the intention of what is going to do to become a better writer or take notes. Well I think what can greatly help anyone is taking notes small three four words that tell us what has happened to a particular situation, it is more important for people who are dedicated to writing, it is easier when you like to take notes to underline the most important and read, and I'm really sure to be successful in any career is really key to take notes, read, keep a diary, plus I'm sure to write not only improves your memory, helps you to become familiar with the subject but improve your writing.
ReplyDeleteKnowing what to overlook is indeed a heavy task. Doing so will allow you to stay ahead of the game. Overlooking things that are not too relevant or important will lead people to focus on he more important tasks at hand.
ReplyDeleteKnowing what to overlook is indeed a heavy task. Doing so will allow you to stay ahead of the game and gets things done in a smoother and more fast-paced fashion. Pointing out the key topics, sections, and terms in your reading is key to keeping your brain at ease and not working yourself more than needs to be done. Overlooking things that are not too relevant or important will lead people to focus on the more important tasks at hand. However, this is not always the wisest thing to do. Always be aware of the minor points also, as they can be just as important at times. They can offer links and solutions to bigger set pieces that could save a lot of time.
ReplyDelete“Ask a question or discuss any aspect of college success that is relevant to your college experience at this point.”
ReplyDeleteFor my first semester of college so far, it’s seemed as if my education world has evolved for the better. Even though the work can be more rigorous at times, it allows for the necessary freedom and time to attend class and complete work that may have separated some students from success in high school. As long as you time your days and work load wisely, it should work out in the students’ favor. Taking advantage of this time and freedom using procrastination is the downfall to most college students that don’t end up doing so well.
Many students have difficulties with writing assignments because of writer’s block.
ReplyDeleteI think that i have diffuculty with writing. I remember when i have an essay do it would be really hard for me to just get started and i would just sit and think and nothing would come up.so it would actually stress me out. I learned in this chapter that its better to start on my essay soon and just brainstorm whatever comess to my mind. so now im thinking of trying the brainstorming technique.
in order to improve my writing skills I would start on it alot earlier than i do . and then i would start taking notes first and then do more research on the subject. and then every day i would even try to write down atleast a paragraph. and then i would organize it all together and make it into a good essay.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, I am like a 16 year old on a college campus for the first time. I would never think of this myself. "The essence of genius is knowing what to overlook." What to overlook?! Wow, I tend to look at everything and overload my brain. But this is awesome. What I it important here is to focus on what is most important, brainstorm and learn to relax.
ReplyDelete