Please read the chapter on test taking and make comments on two of these questions:
1. Students often say, “I am not a good test taker.” What ideas in this chapter would be helpful to this student?
2. What are some suggestions for dealing with text anxiety?
3. How do you study for a math test?
4. What is the ideal way to review for a test?
5. What are some disadvantages of cramming for a test and how can you avoid cramming?
6. What is your best idea for studying for exams?
1. I am not a good test taker.
ReplyDeleteI believe some great ideas that would be helpful to a student would be to make sure there prepared for the test so that anxiety doesnt start filling them in and making them nervous causing them to fail and over think their brain, get a good nights rest and be sure to eat a good healthy brekfast so that your brain is more alert to what your doing. Before the test be sure to review all notes and focus on the key ideas that you gathered while taking your notes, be sure to memorize. Try to predict the test questions that will be on the test by looking for clues from the professor, review handout that were given out, and most of all when the professor announces the test be sure to ask what material is going to be covered on the test and review for it.
2. What are some suggestions for dealing with text anxiety?
ReplyDeleteSome suggestions i recommend for dealign with test anxiety are making sure your prepared and ready by preparing for the exam, be sure to assist every class lecture so that you can write alot of important notes, increase your self confidence, be sure to get a good nights sleep before the test the lack of sleep can interfere with your memory, do easy questions first, say postitive thoughts to yourself and always tell yourself " i can do this" always believe you can accomplish something otherwise you wont expect much of yourself and you wont put to much forth to accomplish it because you already have your mind set to failure.
"What is your best idea for studying for exams?"
ReplyDeleteWhen you need to study for exams, you should gather all your notes from your binder that pertain to the test and review the main points that were taught that day. It would be best to break down each chapter into different days so that you don't overwhelm yourself with too much information for one day. I would also suggest writing down any key terms or any information with detail onto flash cards as an easy studying tool that you could bring out with you anywhere to flip through and test yourself.
"What are some suggestions for dealing with test anxiety?"
ReplyDeleteIf you feel very anxious about taking a test, one of the best things to do for yourself is to relax. Take deep breathes before you start your exam and take the time to read over the questions before you start. If you get stuck on a hard question, don't waste your time freaking out about it, but rather move on to the next question. It is best to start with the easy questions and leave the hard ones for the end. Giving yourself adequate time to study could also help with being anxious because you will feel more prepared for the test. As well as eating something in the morning and getting a good night of sleep the day before the test!
Students who believe they are bad test takers will most likely result with bad test grades. The first step to becoming a better test taker is to believe in yourself. Confidence with test taking is very important in order to ensure success. Confidence can be hard to establish if you aren't prepared for the test. Make sure you attend every lecture, review your notes frequently, and become interested in your class. Being involved and interested in your class will make studying easier, which leads to good test taking. Good test grades lead to satisfaction and confidence building.
ReplyDeleteStudying for a math test is always the best test to study for. When preparing for a math test, I like to get a study group together. Once I get three to four people together, we will cover basic concepts, formulas, and difficult problems. Attending every math class is crucial for preparing for the test. The teacher will be able to help you understand the material, as well as break down any questions you may have. Overall, math test preparation is all about practice. You may have to put a lot of time in, but math is about repeating the same problems until you've mastered the material.
ReplyDelete“What is your best idea for studying for exams?”
ReplyDeleteI start studying for an exam when I get the syllabus. I always try to be pro-active in my studies and if I know there will be any kind of test I start studying immediately. I don’t like being put under pressure when studying for a test, I like to take my time and review my notes and reading material thoroughly. So be prepared for tests, midterms and the final by studying immediately for them and review your notes throughout the week and prior to the test.
Janine Woolard
“What are some suggestions for dealing with test anxiety?”
ReplyDeleteI would suggest dealing with test anxiety by first making sure that you attend all classes to get the most out of the lectures and do not depend on others for your success. What sometimes works for me for test anxiety is to study right before I go to sleep, this way I go to sleep thinking about the material and mulling it around in my brain is the last thing I think of. I also always make sure that I get fresh air and a brisk walk before class or test. Taking a brisk walk clears my mind and allows me to focus more on the task at hand. I am a horrible test taker and get the worst anxiety before I take a test and pop quizzes are the worst for me. But these few things help me relax and put my focus where it should be.
Janine Woolard
In response to question #3, there are several ways to study for a math test. You have to show up for every math class and think about your ability to succeed. Ask questions in class, if you don't find something that you don't understand. When you're outside of class, use your time to do your math homework. Do as many problems as you can until you feel confident enough in solving them. For instance, cover the concepts and formulas that involves completing any algebraic or word problems. Then, review over them in preparation for the math test and it'll be very simple.
ReplyDeleteIn response to question #2, my suggestions for dealing with test anxiety are: doing some physical exercise, take deep breaths, feel relaxed and confident, and do the simple questions first. If you arrive for your test a little early, use that time to stretch, to make yourself feel comfortable. Moments before you begin a test, take a couple of deep breaths to help you relax. Furthermore, try visualizing yourself taking the exam calmly and knowing most of the questions that you can answer. After a couple of days of the exam, you get it back with a grade and see the answers that you didn't get right. If you don't do as well as you expect, use the time that you need to think about how you can improve your preparation and performance, on the next exam.
ReplyDeleteTo help me be a better test taker based off of this chapter I would have to say the most important thing i need to do the day of the test is to eat something healthy and that will energize me through out the test. before the test i need to start reading my notes weeks in advance after every class to fully know that i know the material. Get an questions answered and memorize all important dates events and rules.
ReplyDeleteTo help me with a math test I would first gather all the notes have taken review the rules and steps of the problems then try and do the problems provided to me in class then open my text book and do those problems and review fully to i get every answer right in that section then repeat all steps again for the other equations. the morning of the test to a sample equation to help remember the steps and write down all rules for memory purposes.
ReplyDelete1.) "I'm not a good test taker" - I say this a lot, and by reading this chapter, I have come to realize that I just don't study the way I should be. I should be reviewing the material throughout the semester, instead of just waiting until the day before, and try learning everything. I have learned that every day, you should review your notes and study what you have learned in class, just a little bit, so by the time it is time to take the test, you know everything, you just have to go over it.
ReplyDelete"I am not a good test taker."
ReplyDeleteThe first thing that I think should be done in order to be successful in taking a test is to get rid of the idea that we are bad test takers. A positive attitude can make all the difference when in a timed environment. A lot of the times, the lack of positive energy can lead us to not really care about what were doing and in doing so do worse off. An old teacher of mine used to tell us tis story on how we all lose a lot of confidence in ourselves as we get older. As a way to think positively before a test she encouraged us to yell "I am a genius" right before it. It help[ed get rid of the test taking anxiety as well help with getting rid of the negative vibes in the room.
What are some disadvantages of cramming for a test and how can you avoid cramming?
ReplyDeleteOne of the main disadvantages for cramming would be the lack of retension for the subject matter. A few others would be, the stress/anxiety created by cramming, the inability to build on that knowledge because you don't know it, and lower grades as a result of being unprepared. The best way to avoid the need to cram is by being organized and prepared for the class. Knowing the schedule, breaking the work into smaller learning sessions, doing a daily review of previous material before learning the new stuff. Also taking notes, joining a study group, and attending all classes or lectures ensures that your do not miss anything.
What is your best idea for studying for exams?
ReplyDeleteMy best idea for studying starts with the environment. For me I prefer a well lit place with a table and a straight back chair. I don't mind music as long as it's not loud. When I start a class I always write down or print out the assignemnts so I can map them out on my date book. I keep track of what I do weekly by marking it off in my book. I take notes and try not to miss out on any classes or lectures. All of this goes toward how I prepare for an exam. I like to read over things before I go to class, so my notes are clear to recall. I review them a couple of times a week, (I know, it should be more), and ask questions to make sure I understand the work. I review the night before the exam, right before bed. I get a good nights sleep and go to class early so I can look over my notes one more time. Then, I calm myself by saying things like,"You know this stuff, or You've got this down, You can remember all that's going to be on this test." Then after the exam I review the answers I got wrong so I can correct the ideas in my mind.
What is your best idea for studying for exams?
ReplyDeleteI believe that everytime you get out of class you should study right away.since I am an introvert i like to go to the library and just review my notes . sometimes I make flash cards. I also try to get alot of rests before the test.I wake up alittle early so i can go over the flash cards i made.and then I tell myself you can do this. Its easy.
I am not a good test taker.
ReplyDeleteI believe that for students to avoid telling themselves that they cant do good on their test is by making sure they go to class everyday and always on time.because before i took this class I used to miss my college classes and sometimes i would be late , and i would miss the important part of the lecture. then that would make me stress for the test. i also believe that practicing everyday before the test can make you think positive.so always think positive and tell yourself you can do everything you want as long as you try your best.
1. I believe a positive attitude will greatly increase production from anything we do in life, tests included. The best way for someone to improve their attitude is to prepare. Knowing the material, what is expected, attending each class and reviewing properly will grow confidence. For those students who still find themselves anxious come test time, proper sleep, diet and exercise can help put them in a winning mind set.
ReplyDelete5. Some disadvantages in cramming for a test include the brain's inability to transfer this information into long term memory. If this information is not in long term memory come test time, it will be difficult to recall it. Cramming also increases anxiety, causing one to think negatively about their education. Once a positive outlook is lost on obtaining an educational goal, it can be difficult to find success and achievement. Cramming can be prevented by planning in advance and studying the material in short but frequent intervals.
1. I believe a positive attitude will greatly increase production from anything we do in life, tests included. The best way for someone to improve their attitude is to prepare. Knowing the material, what is expected, attending each class and reviewing properly will grow confidence. For those students who still find themselves anxious come test time, proper sleep, diet and exercise can help put them in a winning mind set.
ReplyDelete2. What are some suggestions for dealing with text anxiety?
ReplyDeleteSome ways that can help with dealing with test anxiety is to relax and foucus on what's important. And once you are relaxed you should stop your mind from thinking anything negative that going to impact on your test. You should also exercise, sleep and take deep breaths. You can also relax by visualizing your success, and do the easy questions first and leave the hard once for last. But the main thing that you have to do is to give yourself time to finish the test, and always get help before the test, or if you have a question on how one of the questions is written out ask you instructor for help.
6. What is your best idea for studying for exams?
ReplyDeleteSome ideas that are best to help you study for an exam is to atten every class if you can, so that you won't miss any lectures or an important point your instructor might give out about the exam. Also you should always start studying for an exam a week or two before so that you can take in everything little by little and not cram everything all together in one day. You should also schedule a time and place for you to study without having any trouble focusing on the material. And some review tools you can use to help you through the process of preparing yourself before the exam is to make flashcards, summary sheets, mind maps and have study groups.
"What are some suggestions for dealing with text anxiety?"
ReplyDeleteStudents should remind themselves that it's not the end of the world to not do so well on tests and exams. Just study hard and do your work and it will all work out for the best. It's not worth wasting your life over stressing every single time you're about to take a test for school. While it's not good to slack off, it's still not always good to over stress your mind.
"How do you study for a math test?"
ReplyDeleteStudying for a math test should involve constantly keeping up with your work and periodically studying your notes and/or assignments. That way your mind can stay fresh with the material. That's my method for studying mathematics.
5. What are some disadvantages of cramming for a test and how can you avoid cramming?
ReplyDeleteThe best way to avoid cramming for a test is to make sure you spread the work lode out over a long period of time, that way your not trying to remember everything in one night. The disadvantages of cramming for a test are pretty obvious ones. 1. you have try to memorize a large amount of work over a very short period of time. 2. you have to stay up later the night before the test which will reduce the ability of your brain to work and remember all the information from the night before. 3. you will probably feel a lot more anxiety because you wont feel prepared for the test, which might lead to you forgetting some of the answers.
What are some disadvantages of cramming for a test and how can you avoid cramming?
ReplyDeleteSometimes cramming seems to be the most convenient way to prepare for an exam, but this is very unhealthy and terrible way to be successful. Cramming before a test increases anxiety. During your test you could become nervous or unsure about answers and will completely forget what you reviewed the night before. The information you learn while cramming is only stored in you short-term memory; which means that you never really learned the information, but rather only retrieved it. In order to effectively learn information it should be stored in your long-term memory so that you can access that information later. In order to effectively do that, you must allow time days before an exam to study and review.
What are some suggestions for dealing with text anxiety?
ReplyDeleteAnxiety is very common when it comes to test taking, and dealing with it can be very simple. Just try to relax! Give yourself plenty of time before a test to study and prepare for it. Create note cards, start a study group, or make flash cards. The key to overcoming anxiety is to start early! cramming the night before will increase anxiety. You must give yourself at least 3-5 days to effectively prepare for an exam. This will give you confidence in knowing that you know the information.
What is your best idea for studying for exams?
ReplyDeleteIt is important to attend all class lectures, taking notes and reviewing them immediately following class. Review your notes on a regular basis and throughout the semester, breaking the material down into increments to fit into a study plan. Use flash cards and mental maps as a tool. Create mock-up exams to help reinforce the concepts you need help with. Being well rested and alert will be a big help on exam day.
What are some suggestions for dealing with test anxiety?
Being prepared and thinking positive thoughts is a good solution to anxiety. Confidence comes from knowing your good study habits have prepared you. Stay focused, rested, and alert. Visualize your success. You know you will do well! Remember that some anxiety is a normal reaction, and you can use the energy to your advantage.
Susan Barclay
There are a couple of methods I use to study for a test for example I review my notes after every class.Another method i use to study for a test is ask questions about anything I do not understand before the test. I think there are many things I can try to fully prepare for test such as making flashcards, and studying with a partner. I will try some of these new methods out, and I think they will greatly affect in how I do on tests.
ReplyDeleteWhat are some disadvantages of cramming for a test and how can you avoid cramming?
ReplyDeleteSome disadvantages of cramming for a test are test anxiety, unprepared for a test and it will affect on how you do on a test. Some ways one can avoid cramming is to review everyday in small parts, and also making a schedule and commit to it. Cramming can be easily avoided by not procastinating and commting to studying for the test as early as when the test date is given out. Another way to study for a test if you have little time to study is to review over the most important points. Visualizing your success in a test can also affect ones performance as well.
Like studying for an test of mathematics, good to my she works to me much to read the lesson several times and to go property as well annotations to know that the following step does not forget to me in question is to tartar to understand the exercises and to look for sites related by Internet where I can find exercises that are going to help to me to practice my lesson I am a person of whom scientists are called who need to know of where everything came out and because, I need to review I happen through step, and that this aid much when beams the exercises time and time again and it beams or the less then you can go with a tutor so that she helps you to clear all the doubts that you can have or you’re sure you know this well, this will help your review goes well, remember never give up.
ReplyDeleteWhat is the best idea to study for the test? When I study for the test I read the chapter that she is going to be the test and I make several times by example read today and tomorrow the same this was reinforced if you make notes during class, later when already you have a general concept that it comes, soon you deal with to read it aloud and to emphasize the information that stops this then do but important for one, later write for which you can remember of it, to look for cards that helped you to write in them on the one hand the information and in the other the answer, to review them several times so that you can familiarize with the subject something that is of much support is to record your voice and you can be listening to it but followed.
ReplyDelete"What are some suggestions for dealing with text anxiety?"
ReplyDeleteStudents should remind themselves that it's not the end of the world to not do so well on tests and exams. Just study hard and do your work and it will all work out for the best. It's not worth wasting your life over stressing every single time you're about to take a test for school. While it's not good to slack off, it's still not beneficial to over stress your mind. Come prepared with the material fresh in mind, and you should do fine. Steady study habits and fluent practice preparation is one of the keys to success when getting ready for tests and quizzes of all kinds.
"How do you study for a math test?"
ReplyDeleteStudying for a math test should involve constantly keeping up with your work and periodically studying your notes and/or assignments. That way your mind can stay fresh with the material. Eventually the information should find its place in an easier access point of your long-term memory. You don’t want to just cram the night before because that doesn’t allow for the information to just flow naturally out of the files of your mind during the test. It causes for more stress that will lead to more guessing. It’s best to familiarize yourself with the material and study at a nice pace throughout the semester. That's my method for studying mathematics.
I do have serious test anxiety, but what I have learned is profound for me personally. Here are just some of the things that I find will be helpful to me when it comes to test taking. Do not cram, Eat some protein, relax by taking deep breaths, review my notes for several days prior to the test, get plenty of sleep.
ReplyDelete