Saturday, February 26, 2011

Week 3, March 7-13, Learning Style



Remember to make 2 postings of at least 100 words each this week.  You can comment on these scenarios using what you have read about learning styles and personality type, reply to other student's comments or write about anything related to college and career success. 

1.  You have just been assigned a 10 page term paper. 
2.  You have to study for a challenging math test.
3.  You have to write up a lab report for a biology class.  It incudes drawing of a frog you have just dissected.
4.  You are taking a required course for your major and it is taught by only one professor.  You dislike this professor.
5.  You are taking a business class and have been assigned a group project to design a small business.  It is worth 50% of your grade.  One of the group members wants to control the group and the others seem to be rebelling.
6.  You have signed up for an economics course and find it difficult to stay awake during the lecture. 
7.  You signed up for a philosophy course to meet a humanities requirement.  The vocabulary in the course is unfamiliar. 
8.  As part of the final exam, you have to prepare a five minute presenation for your art history class.

45 comments:

  1. For the philosophy course, I would set aside time to study. I would make sure I had all the right materials I need for the assignments. I would get a good dictionary to look up vocabulary words I did not understand. Another thing I could do is write the words down so I get extra practice seeing and using them.
    For the business class where there is a control freak, i would suggest portioning out different parts of the business and letting each member develop a section as we all work as a group. We could then take all the ideas and work them into a good business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To keep myself awake during a boring lecture I would first make sure to have a good night sleep the night before. I would sit in the front of the class and participate by taking notes and joining any discussions. If necessary, I would take a break and go to the restroom to splash cool water on my face. A cup of coffee might help too.
    Susan Barclay

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to situation 4, I would try to see this as an opportunity to learn how to deal with difficult people. I'm in school to learn so rather than focusing on the professor, I could turn my attention to the text and other available resources. I would remind myself to be positive and try to see something likeable in the professor.
    Susan Barclay

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I looked through the choices, number seven comes to mind. I just had this experience last semester. So let me explain. First, I took a Humanities class to fulfill the requirement. It covered the exploration of myths and mythological thinking. It was difficult. None of it was familiar. My response was to set aside extra study time, devote more effort to this class and re-read the text and write the highlights and study guides over and over. I got a B in the class. So, the technique worked. Given the same situation again, now that I understand more, I would use those same tools but add doing some outside research like extra reading material or use of the internet for a better understanding of what is expected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As part of a final exam , I have to prepare a 5 minute presentation. So first, I would have to say yikes! Get that sense of fear of being in front of a group out of the way. Acknowledge it and move on, don’t ignore it. Then I could get down to the business of planning my presentation. First, getting the directions and expectations for the project. Then, researching what material I’m going to cover, using the guidelines provided by the Professor. Giving myself time to make several rough drafts to create my best project. Then I’d practice and reframe my presentation until I felt comfortable with the time frame and content. The personality profile’s information helps to formulate how I chose to organize, discern, practice and present my project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan those are all great suggestions. I'm going to take them into considration the next time I have to sit thought a meeting or class in shich a lecture is happening. Especially the take a quick break. Cause often times I doodle to attempt to focus on the words instead of the person's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In response to Carter and the 5 minute presentation, those sound like good ideas. It is really hard to talk in front of people because you feel so exposed. If you prepare well and practice it would help to relieve your fears. I would also try to find something humorous to add to relieve my tension and theirs. Extroverts are much better at public speaking I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For scenario #7, if i found the vocabulary for my philophosy course difficult to understand, I would make flashcards in order to quiz myself each day. Eventually I would be able to know the words right off my head because I the daily quizzing I would be dong. If I found that this was still unsuccessful, I would find a student in my class who understood the vocabulary so that I can get in a conversation with them about what I don’t understand with the hopes of being able to learn using my auditory skill.
    For scenario #2 where I have to study for a challenging math test, I would make sure to study well in advance from the date of the test, reviewing and re-writing all my notes taken in class. As well as possibly putting a study group together with my other classmates or attend tutoring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found Susan’s advice on how to keep yourself awake during a not so interesting class very insightful because this is something that I’m sure every college student goes through in at least one of the courses they are taking since we all have to take a class we aren’t very interested in at some point during the process of finishing our education. Getting adequate amount of sleep the day before we have that class as Susan suggested is definitely a great way to enable me to stay awake during long lectures. I would also suggest possibly reading the chapter from the textbook that the professor is lecturing on if a student finds it hard to connect with the material verbally. This could occupy the students time in a positive way that wouldn’t keep them from learning

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have signed up for an economics course and find it difficult to stay awake during the lecture.

    I believe I already encountered sitting down in a boring class, that i personaly found no interest in, maybe it was the fact that it sounded like a totally different language to me because im sure that later on in the course i wouldve managed to understand exactly what the professor was talking about since according to him there was no right or wrong answer in that course. If i was taking an economics course with and kept finding myself constantly falling asleep througout the class a few things i would do would be; have some better sleep the night before, take notes, maybe make some flash cards throughout class with things i come across that i dont understand, ask questions to the instructor, engage more in class discussion, find myself sitting in the front row so that i know that way i would actually really have to focus and know i cant slack off because it will only make me look bad in front of the professor, and possibly make a list of questions i might have for the next class and answer them later on to keep myself entertained and paying close attention so that i would be on the look for these answers in the next class lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ashley I agree with your responce i actually had to do that when i was going to PIMA, medical institue, i found all the medical terminology extremly hard to grasp. I started taking notes and doing vocabulary cards but at the end of the day i found myself with atleast 30 new vocabulary words that i studied everywhere and anywhere i went. I would get through most of all of them but if would frustrate me inside, since i tend to give up easily, so finally i just ended up getting out of that school. Not that getting out was the answer but i figured i would much better be doing something of my own interest then something i wanted to just do just because.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Mercy, it sounds like you might have been in over your head. I know how hard it is to try to learn new and extensive material in a timely manner. I also know how frustrating it can be when you can't finish what you are attempting. Having worked for 10+ years in the medical field I know how hard the terminology is to master. There's nothing wrong with changing your mind. In and odd way, that insight about finding something else that is better suited to you worked out. You wouldn't want to spend your life working in a position that breeds so much frustration for you. Now with the insight this couse brings, you will be able to find something that better suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. “You are taking a required course for your major and it is taught by only one professor. You dislike this professor.”

    If this was the case I would first set aside my personal feelings and mentally tell myself that I am the one here to learn, not the teacher and the class was to my advantage. I would view this course as a challenge to me, making sure that I went above and beyond to learn everything I possibly could. Some personalities are never going to get along but each person has something great to offer.

    Janine Woolard

    ReplyDelete
  14. Moriah, you have some great suggestions on how to handle a group project.
    I was thinking along the same lines. Breaking up the task into pieces that would allow all participants to have responsibility. It also relieves the control issue. Also I thought that if need be, the “control freak” could still be given the task of deadlines or dates. That way, they feel utilized as well. Also using the voting process as a democratic way to resolve issues.

    As for the philosophy suggestions, the dictionary and usage were great ideas. The more comfortable I am with words/phrases/concepts, the easier it is for me to master them. I would also add since one of my preferences is to do something with new information to understand it better, I might make a game or use flash cards to help me retain more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In Scenario #2, if I was studying for a math exam, I would probably use the hours per week that the class sets up, to prepare for it. Specifically, in my Math 178 class, Calculus, I study 12 hours per week, which means 4 hours in class and 8 hours outside class on homework. The basic ways that I prepare myself for a math midterm of final exam are: reviewing notes, go to tutoring, and practicing problems. In my perspective, I believe being an introvert and judging type really helps me because I've been successful with it throughout my time in college. Some of my friends think its not fun, but they're the most important traits that makes up you personality type.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Mercy, I read your comment about Scenario #6 and I understand your dilemma. I went through this same kind of experience as well, but I still pass the economics course. Likewise, I had an instructor that was the same way like yours. He talks about the subject, but not in a way that we wouldn't be able to understand. There was several times throughout the course that I wanted to drop out of it, but I didn't because not only that I had faith in myself, but it was apart of my major, Business Administration and I needed it. Although I was relieved that I barely pass, I also learned a couple of things. These are the 2 things that I will learn to do in the near future: 1) Ask questions about the chapters, so that way you might have a better understanding about the course and 2) Have a tape recorder with you at all times when recording class discussions. Trust me, I believe during your time in college, your gonna be classes that would be in more of your liking and will further your career in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  18. In Scenario #4, if I was taking a required course that's apart of my major, I have to do what I got to do, to rise to the occasion. The main reason that I choose to go to school is because I want to learn about the course, not focus on the instructor or other students. I look gain everything out of the required course that I can, despite of the instructor's visualizion teaching. When I go into classes that goes along with my major, I want professors that are introvert, meaning that they describe the lecture more, not an extrovert who socializes with other students.

    ReplyDelete
  19. In response to situation 1: where I would have to complete a 10 page term for a course and some steps I would take to make sure that I complete it on time would be doing it in parts, so that I wouldn't leave all the work the day before it's do. I would also try an find a dark and cool place where I could work alone and concetrate much easier. I would play some music while wroking on my term paper because it would help me constrate. My learning style will help me greatly in getting this term paper done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. In scenario #6: I signed up for an economics class and I am finding it difficult to stay up while the proffesor is giving his lecture. Some things I can do is to sit in the front row, drink an energy drink before class, or simply go to sleep earlier the night before. I would also try to take a huge amount of notes during the lecture so that even if I am not paying attetnion to the lecutre I can read the notes later and figure out any quiestions that I may have. Also after taking notes from class go over them at your house in my cool and dark place so I can concetrate. All these steps I think would help me in getting through the course and being successful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. For my biology class this week I have to write up a lab report that includes a drawing of the frog I dissected. I don’t enjoy science at all and I’m not too fond of playing with something that’s no longer living either. It is quite disgusting to have to examine and physically touch the specimen. However I want a good grade for the class and even though I’m not too happy with this assignment I know it will be a life experience. And I’m all for trying new things. You never know when having certain knowledge of something may come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. For scenario #2, studying for a challenging math test, the biggest thing is to study and understand the material. To be prepared for the math test and any other test, the motivation to study needs to be present. When studying I personally like to take breaks, highlight key concepts or equations, and most importantly repeat problems with the same theory behind it. Succeeding on math tests is all about repetition and understanding. For others, reading the text may benefit you, or even getting together with a study group to discuss math would help.

    ReplyDelete
  23. For scenario #6, the economics lecture and having trouble staying awake, the best thing for that would be to get an early start to the day. A cup of coffee is optional, but one cup of coffee wouldn't hurt. But if you are having trouble staying awake, you need more sleep. When you daydream, dose off in class, or even fall asleep, that's a sign you need more rest. Another reason may be that the material isn't interesting, or it's too difficult. If so, talk to the professor and ask for help or tips. Talking to the professor and making a connection can very beneficial for a student.

    ReplyDelete
  24. In regards to scenario 4, if there is a professor that I dislike but I need the class, then I would have to put all differences aside and do what I need to do to advance. The fact that I dislike the professor should not affect my approach to the course, especially if I need it to advance towards a degree. I've taken a few classes where I did not appreciate the professor's teaching style or difficult tests. For me, I found myself studying more and putting in extra work to make sure I succeed in the class. I don't like to put my fate in the hands of somebody I don't appreciate, so as long as I put in the work and do what I need to do, I can get over disliking a professor.

    ReplyDelete
  25. In regards to scenario 6, many students above me have already stated the obvious. Nothing beats a good nights sleep and starting the day off feeling fresh. If I walk into class feeling like a zombie, chances are I won't learn anything and the only thing on my mind is going home to bed rather than learning the material. As Steven stated right above me, if rest isn't the problem and the material is, then I would have to find a new strategy to learn the information and make it somewhat interesting. I always found that taking notes during a lecture can keep me preoccupied and busy so that I am not simply sitting around and dosing off. Taking notes during a boring class keeps my mind active and helps me stay attentive.

    ReplyDelete
  26. For scenario #5: For the business class project, I would try and be the mediator for the group, since that is what I tend to do in my every day life anyway. I would suggest to split up the assignment into different fair and even sections. Its also important to remind everyone in the group that we are all there for the same reason, to get a good grade. We should re-focus out energy into the project instead of arguing over it. It is also a good test for every day situations in life, because you don't always get to choose who you work with and you have to learn to accept new people and how they work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. For scenario #4: If there is only one professor for the class that I am required to take, I would have to learn to enjoy the class. There is no point in complaining and having a bad attitude about the class because there is nothing I can do about the situation. I have to remember that every teacher is different, just like every student is different in the way that they learn. While I may not enjoy the way that specific teacher teaches, I should find ways to enjoy the class.

    ReplyDelete
  28. In senerio 4:
    In this case that a person has no choice but to take a class that only one proffesor teaches and you dislike that proffesor.Is that the first thing a person should do is figure out why they dislike them. Then they should try to figure out a way to work with those reasons by trying to analyze the proffesor's personality and see if there are some traits that you can combine to see if you and the proffesor have something in common. Like if one of your traits is judging and the proffesor's is also as well, then you both are very oragnized and like to work very steadily.But always try to figure out the proffesors personality first by looking at his way of teaching the class and how he or she represents themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree with Jessica on scenario 4. I don't really see the point in shutting myself off to a class that I might otherwise enjoy. It is important to stay focused on the actual material being taught than who's teaching the course. Keeping a negative mind in the class will only make the class that much harder. I would rather make it enjoyable for myself and really focus on what is being taught. I am not taking the course to become friends with the teacher, its only a means to an end. It would obviously be great to have a friendly relationship with them but keeping this scenario in mind, I would still keep an open mind regardless of the teacher teaching the course.

    ReplyDelete
  30. 1. One look at the due date plan out a schedule of when you will be working on this assignment and what you need to gather for the paper. And set a daily schedule as well.
    2. Set out at least a week in advance and study all the material required for the test ask the teacher if you have any question or go to tutoring sessions to help you.
    3. Start off with a rough draft and include a check list and key to label all parts.
    4. Learn what his style is and gather all the things that you can relate to but also learn to adapt to the learning environment by bring with you your tools to be successful rather it be a pillow a recorder and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I agree with Adriana and Jessica on number 4. Throughout college I had many teachers that I had to take that I didn’t necessary agree with. However, I went to class every day and made an effort to learn something new every class. All though I may not have got the big picture of the days lesson I was still able to take away something to help me improve on. A lot of the time my teachers appreciated you just showing up to class and being on time a lot of students think they can just show up on test day and pass classes however when you don’t attend class you don’t get the full effect of the lesson and miss out on discussion explanations and different point of views of subject. So to help keep me motivated to attend class I would make it a habit to grab a snack before class so I could have something I could enjoy in class I really didn’t want to be at.

    ReplyDelete
  32. As I was reading scenario 7 I remembered how hard it was for me to initially remember names and terminology in an American History class that I took my junior year of high school. What I ended up doing is acting them all out. I totally helped me pass the final exam with flying colors. I am a kinesthetic learner so being able to interact with the words, names, and their meanings made everything really easy. I acted out little skits to myself to know what each person had done and created small soap opera-esque scenarios to make the class more exciting. I told a friend about this technique and she juts kind of looked at me funny but it really was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Having read over all the options to write about, I idenified most with "You have signed up for an economics course and find it difficult to stay awake during the lecture." I'm not big on numbers and, frankly, tend to shy away from money matters. However, understanding the importance of financial know-how, I would attempt to make the lectures personal. Tie in the information given at class with what is happening in my life. Being able to relate would not only make the class much more interesting, but it would solve problems and improve my "Real World" economic issues.

    As for having a teacher I do not agree with, well, that's a part of life. Teachers, supervisors, bosses, even parents can see things differently. The important thing is to attempt to understand why. Ask questions, let your feelings be known and attempt to meet somewhere in the middle. Attempt to see things from their perspective. It's amazing what can be done with a simple smile and conversation. Asking a teacher for help outside of the normal class hours shows that you not only want to do well in class, but are willing to make the effort. That can go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  34. “You have to study for a challenging math test”

    I would be proactive in studying for the test by taking additional notes, highlighting key points and setting aside additional time each day to study as well as making bullet points for myself of any additional material that I wanted to review. The night before the test I would set aside a couple of hours, find a quiet spot and re-visit the material paying special attention to the highlighted areas and re-read my notes and once again making additional notes that I would want to revisit the day of the test.

    Janine Woolard

    ReplyDelete
  35. My professor and I don't really see eye to eye. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the class has to be a negative experience. I can go to class and learn all I can about the subject material and use it in my every day life. If I don't pay my professor too much attention then there shouldn't be any issues between us and it's not going to hurt to have an occasional chat with him here and there. So as long as I look at this as a great learning experience throughout the entire course there shouldn't be any awkward conflicts between the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Are taking a required course for their elders and is taught by one teacher. You do not like this professor
    (Auditory Lerning Techniques / Sensing) I'm taking a required course and a teacher teaches, but the teacher does not like me, but I know that I take, I need to study and discuss each point in the class and give my point of view who wants to know information to support my small flash card that I made ​​when the teacher gives his class, I like that everything is in order and that people are paying attention to the teacher because I do not like noise when the class ends I will give an overview preferably the library alone is better.

    ReplyDelete
  37. 4 It is taking an obligatory course it stops his greater and it is taught by a single one professor. That you do not like this professor
    (Auditory Learning Techniques/Sensing) I am taking an obligatory course and it embosoms a teacher, but that teacher does not please to me, but that I must take it, I need to study and to discuss each point of the class and to give my point of view whoever to know to small support my information with flash card that I am making when the teacher gives his class pleases that all this in sequence and that people this putting attention to the teacher since the noise does not please to me, when the class finishes I am going to give a review to the library of single preference is more good.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Senerio #5
    In this Senerio the best thing to do is to set up a day in which every member of the group can get together at the library or somewhere where they can all talk about what's going on. And in that group meeting everyone has to put effort and have to pay close attention so they can all fix the problem without having any arguments. Then when they have all talked it off they should all agree on a schedule in which they can all agree on the days they can all get together again to start with the project and they should also have an agreement that every member has to put the same effort and time in the project.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You have signed up for an economics course and find it difficult to stay awake during the lecture.

    This is simple to avoid. Some classes are not as interesting as we would like them to be, but since we have to be there, we have to be alert. I would make sure that I always get enough sleep the night before this class. It helps to eat a breakfast or snack before as well. I would also sit in the front of the class so that there is pressure on me to fall asleep. Sitting right in front of the teacher might make it easier to stay awake, and I would be more into the lecture. And the last thing that I would try to consistently take notes so that I can be actively involved in the lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You signed up for a philosophy course to meet a humanities requirement. The vocabulary in the course is unfamiliar.

    In order to be successful in a class where I have no idea what the teacher is talking about, I have to be active in the lecture. If I am unsure about the vocabulary being used in the lecture then I would write it down and later go over the information. I would look up the vocabulary online and review in the book. Taking a challenging class takes a lot of extra studying and dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  41. If I had a challenging math test coming up the first thing I would do would be organize all my notes from the course and head to the library. Being that I am not so comfortable with math, I would probably spend a day going over key problems, doing samples, and even reach out to a friend who might be good with math who could explain certain problems that I just don't get. I learn best by hands on practicing and creating small quizzes would really assist in my studies. I probably would not go over the book page by page because it would really just bore me and I would lose interest therefor my best bet in passing the math test is looking at the instructions the book offers.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Being that I am good at presentations, I would first be very extatic that part of my art history final was to prepare a 5 minute presentation. My goal would be to get started with the presentation as soon as I was aware of it so that I finished before it was due and I could go over it and make sure it meets requirements and it's on point. To start off, my choice for the presentation would be doing a PowerPoint where I could give a visual of the things that I have learned and we have gone over in the course. I would also give relevant information learned on each slide and put key points that are important to me and I could share with others. To end the presentation I would show references I used for research to give my presentation the validation it needs. I think that before my presentation is turned in and considering the goal would be to finish earlier than due, I would try to show it to a family member or friend and get feedback so that I could fix certain things or even add better information.

    ReplyDelete
  43. in order for me not to be bored in class , I would think positive about the class im taking and see where it will take me to my future. I would also drink coffee and get plenty of sleep.I would also make sure that i eat a good healthy breakfast. I always sit in front of the class so i can be more focused in class.

    ReplyDelete
  44. if i had to work in a group project i wouldnt let someone control us because were not little kids. and since this is college we should work things out together. I think that we should all choose a part and just work on it and if we have questions we should ask each other since that its a group work. if that person still wants to be controlling i think we should vote and take him out in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I chose scenario #3. One of the best ways I study is in a group, hands on and I also really enjoy class time listing to my teacher lecture our class. Taking sufficient notes and drawing out the “part” of the project I can learn the most. To learn more I would talk time drawing out the picture on a nice piece of art paper and color in the different part of the frog using colored pens. I would also write down each part of the frog on cards and quiz myself throughout the week. Leaning is so important and every effort made toward learning is so very important.

    Senario #5. I can see how this can happen. It actually has happened to me. Three of us classmates decided to get together to study. Each one of us had a different study style. One of use wanted to go from text title to text title, one wanted to skim and one wanted to go over her personal notes! Needless to say it was very difficult. What we ended up doing is a group quiz. Each one of us ended up questioning each other about a certain topic and answering the questions. It ended up really helping us all out.

    ReplyDelete