Monday, May 9, 2011

Week 11, May 9-15

One of the most exciting scientific accomplishments of this century is Human Genome Project which is the cataloging of human genes.  This will lead to great understanding of the human body and advance medical science.  One of the most important findings is that while human beings differ in outward appearance, the genetic structure of all human beings is 99.9% identical.  These researchers agree that there is only one race, the human race. 

However we continue to struggle with the concept of appreciating diversity and discrimination and prejudice still exist in many forms.  For example, you may have been discrimated against because of you ethnic group, religion, height, weight, gender, disability, or even academic skills.  For this discussion, give an example of a circumstance where you have experienced or witnessed discrimination.  Any ideas on how to reduce discrimination? 

I will share an example of discrimination that I experienced.  I started my doctoral program at USC when I was 8 months pregnant.  After the first class the professor took me aside and suggested that I drop out of the program because of my family situation.  I was really angry and decided to show him that I would finish.  I am happy to report that I was one of the first three students to finish the program. 

This week, the killing of Osama Bin Laden has dominated the news.  Because he was the mastermind of 9-11, many Americans are celebrating his death.  However, whenever there is anything about terrorism in the news, many students who are from the Middle East suffer discrimination.  We have many Chaldean students at Cuyamaca College who are Christians who have emigrated from Iraq.  I'm sure they are suffering increased discrimination now even though they have nothing to do with terrorism.  Any comments on this? 

This week you can make one post of 200 words (instead of 2 of 100 words each) if you want since the topic of appreciating diversity or describing incidents of discrimination might need more words. 

21 comments:

  1. Regarding on the issue of the generalization and discrimination of all the people of middle eastern decent.I think that there are a lot of people that don't think before they speak and want to put blame on a certain group of people for the acts of a few individuals. In this case the dircrimination of middle easterners due to the recent terrorist attacks by muslim extremists and terrorist groups. I believe that people should get informed more about the sitaution before accusing a certain group of people. Even blaming muslims for something a small minority have done is unjust to treat all muslims with rasicm. To combat these problems I think people should get informed about all the different cultures that we see get in contact on a day to day basis so we have a more information on there culture, and it can also help in everyone getting along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that around half of the reason behind discrimination is from insecurity in a sense that the individual is trying to show off to other peers. They're minds spot a skeptical difference in the person they're thinking of discriminating against (i.e. race, religion, etc.), and initiate the discrimination due to giving off a false image of authority over that specific individual. They usually have a minuscule amount of knowledge about the person, but that's all that's needed to discriminate. The other half of the reason why I believe people discriminate is due to actions that make that person, and anybody that relates to him/her, stand out. An example of this would be the attack on 9-11 initiated by Osama Bin Laden. Since one man from Iraq has caused chaos and issues with the United States, that acts as the catalyst for people to believe that all men from Iraq want to cause harm to the world. It's a shame that more people don't have an open mind and actually take the time to consider important aspects of life. Staying calm and thinking things through not only could possibly stop a lot of the discrimination, but also stop a lot of issues, arguments, and misunderstandings in our everyday lives. Everyone should be given a chance, every human being should be treated as their own person, and everyone should be treated as equals. There are some exceptions to this manner; children and adults are an example of this exception. Now every young child should be given a chance to prove their maturity and knowledge, but in a business and lawful sense, there are reasons that they aren't permitted to do all of the same things as adults are able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read in the news that a teacher was suspended for mocking a Muslim student over Bin Laden. This kind of discrimination stems from ignorance. Some people are too close minded and set in their ways to ever get beyond the ignorance. Others are just unaware and uneducated about the facts. What is unfamiliar, some tend to judge in a negative way. In the case of Osama Bin Laden, I think so much emotion is attached. I don’t think it is at all appropriate to be laughing and celebrating over the man’s death. I am not sorry he’s gone, but I gain no satisfaction from his death. Putting negative attention on the Muslims or Chaldeans or anyone who is in this country because of fears related to terrorism, should not be tolerated. These people have come to this country to have a better life because they heard good things about America. I could not be proud to be an American if the majority of people behaved this way. I only hope that the ones who have been unfairly treated will remember that those sentiments are not shared by all Americans. I’m truly ashamed of what I see happening, and I hope that everyone will come to their senses soon.

    Susan Barclay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Students, I was glad to read your comments showing that you have a good understanding of diversity issues. Read these comments and add your opinion. Obviously discrimination does not help the situation. I have always hoped that during my lifetime, we would have peace in the world. So far it has not happened. Maybe we can each do our part by trying to understand others and not judge too quickly. The actions of a few do not define the whole group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all experience discrimination on a daily basis, even though we try our best to be good natured and understanding to each other. We discriminate against people who do not drive the “cool” cars or people that are tall, short, overweight, homeless people looking for something to eat, those that are socially in a lower or higher class than us and people that are unemployed. This is all in addition to race, different cultures and a million other things. If we were blind and got lost, would we really care what social status someone is if they assist us across the street? No, we wouldn’t, we would only see someone that is willing to lend a hand, that has a good heart and is concerned about our welfare, we would see what the “human race” should be, not what is. Being culturally diverse opens up different worlds and allows us to view different social behaviors. Discriminating against others closes our minds off to learning new and exciting things and even from trying something new.
    I work with a man that speaks with only a slight accent and his English, sometimes, is better than mine. I asked him one day what his nationality is, he said I’m American, born here in the states, Washington DC to be exact. He smiled and then said when he was still a baby he moved to Africa with his family for several years and that’s where his accent comes from. He said it’s been challenging trying to eliminate his accent and for the most part he can hide it. He said that people have a way of judging him based on his accent and won’t give him a second chance. His family, trying to escape the violence, came back to the U.S. where he served in our military and is currently going to college. We talked about his hometown and he said it is horrible, children being drugged and brainwashed to kill other human beings so someone can become rich. He said these children are proud to carry guns and to fight and they have no fear. He said they challenge adults, they challenge authority and their family units are broken. He told me I was lucky that I’m not from another country because in his personal experience people look down at him because of his heritage and when he speaks it’s worse. I never looked at him as being anything but a man with an accent. I now have a new respect for him and his family for the trials and tribulations they went through. There will always be discrimination and the older I get the worse it gets. But just for one day I would like to have harmony amongst us, no judging and no stone throwing.

    Janine Woolard

    ReplyDelete
  6. As we all know, discrimination can lead to suffering and hatred of a certain group. If we want to live in a world free from discrimination, we must all strive to understand each other. If we can take the time to understand that each group has something special to offer, our lives will become that much more meaningful. Developing a tolerance for diversity will help us in so many different ways. Personally, our lives will feel enriched, and we can expect feelings of satisfaction and fulfillment. It can also help us from a business standpoint. Regarding Osama's death and discrimination towards Chaldeans, we cannot discriminate towards them. It's unfair to them if we label them as the same group. If we discriminate towards Chaldeans, it will only create tension. Osama's death is a big deal, due to the fact that he is an evil man and he has ruined so many lives. But that doesn't make it acceptable to discriminate against Chaldeans, since they had nothing to do with Osama's plans. To change the topic, I have experienced discrimination in another culture. When I went to Croatia to play water polo, the locals told us we were ignorant and couldn't play water polo. We were scheduled to play, so we ended up playing, and immediately after the game we had lunch. They told us that we were smart kids and had a good idea of the game. They took the time to understand us, and gave us a chance to play them. They truly respected us because we weren't who they thought we were. It was good that the discrimination was erased.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the topic of discrimination comes from mainly people being uncertain or misinformed about ones culture and beliefs and the way one may act. For one I have had a issue with a communication’s teacher at SDSU that was similar to yours. In that class we would have to write reports and present to the class what we have learned on each topic. Through out the class my teacher took an extra effort to confront another student and I, for we were the minorities in our class and questioned us about our writing in a very negative and unprofessional way. He had asked us if English was our second language and would unnecessarily mark up our papers every time we turned them in. In the end I rewrote every paper that I turned in and even took papers to other teachers to read before turning them in. I brought this to the attention of other authorities and he ended up getting in trouble for acting in such a manner. For this situation I would suggest teachers be informed and educated on how to interact with different types of students and if they have a problem with one that they contact there boss. Same goes for the students there should be a phone number and some that they feel conformable to talk to about the situation that may be occurring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with your teacher example.. i remember when 9/11 actually happened alot of people were being so descriminating against other people that were middle eastern, assuming that the airport would be like watching each middle eastern that stepped into the airport..My personal example was actually my own with one of my very good child hood friends i took her to tijuana, baja california with me and we decided to walk into like a little mini mart to grab some junk food and the lady at the register immediatly asked to leave her sweater at the register, and im sure she decided to descriminate because she was african american. Personally i just dont think its right to judge a book by its cover it just so rude and impolite of a person to just automatically think something of someone by the way they look right away. Usually i would say that maybe 50 % of people tend to do this though, where they automatically just sit and judge someone.. the same goes with homeless people i recall being in the middle of the store parking lot and my mom locking the doors just because a homeless guy walked by, i mean not every homeless person sits there and tries stealing or something or not every african american person does what one person has set off to the news thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diversity is a big issue everywhere. People in the higher classes discriminate against people in the lower classes and the middle class people discriminate against people in the lower or upper classes, etc. So many people are rude to each other or even hostile toward people who they see as inferior to themselves. This occurs because of race, religion, gender, looks, etc. I think that one of the main problems is that we are taught at a young age in schools to be a certain way and do these certain things so we can fit in and if your not that certain way you're automatically not good enough for the people around you. One of the things that I believe to be true is that we are all different, but that does not mean that if we encounter someone who is from a different background or culture that we should dislike them or be prejudiced against them. I think that we should get to know people before we are to quick to judge them. They could be an amazing person and we would never know because we are so quick to look at them and think(that person is homeless or that person is catholic). We should welcome the differences that we all have. Life would be boring without them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I just posted a rant and Blogger told me they could not complete my request. Having to say everything all over again is worse than discrimination. Testing 1 2 3.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a Chaldean of middle eastern descent, I have been discriminated against in my lifetime. I was born and raised in San Diego, so I never had any problems growing up until high school when the war with Iraq started. My friends and I were being hated on for something we had no control over. A few students would try to instigate things by calling us derogatory names and throwing insults at us like they were baseballs. I would laugh them off just to make them feel stupid because I knew that these individuals were looking for a problem and I am a pretty mellow guy that wasn't looking for any trouble. My friends are definitely not as calm as I am and many fights ensued when they could have been avoided. I was upset that people thought like this, but at the same time I was glad to know that the majority of the non-Chaldeans at school were on our side in that they knew we had nothing to do with the war and supported us. I was happy to know that there was good in people during a troubling time.

    Recently after Osama's death, I was discriminated against when I was at work just because I had a beard. Now that I am older and much the wiser, I laughed it off because I knew it would annoy the individual, but at the same time I was pretty annoyed because I couldn't believe this idiot wanted to hate on me for having a beard. I never really think about it because I know I am not different than anybody else I encounter, so I can't let one person try and bring me down.

    Discrimination isn't going anywhere. There will always be one idiot out there that feels like they are above everyone else and will try and act that way. I can only pray that these people understand all the cultures around them and realize, as the lesson stated, that we are all one race, the human race.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A circumstance where I have experienced discrimination for the first time was for my gender, which I was very surprised about because I always thought that that type of issue never occurred anymore, or as much as it was twenty to thirty years ago, but I was proved wrong when I was at work a couple of weeks ago. After finishing doing books for work, I’m a bookkeeper, I went to go help out at the service desk to finish off my shift their. As I arrived, I let one of the only two guys who usually work their off for a break because it had finally mellowed out in the store. When an older man arrived at the desk, I asked him if their was anything that he needed help with, and that’s when he informed me that he wanted to send money through western union. I informed him that I could help him but he ranted that he wanted one of that guys that usually work here because he didn’t think that I could do it right. This type of situation could have gotten worse if I yelled at him what I was really thinking, which was that I was just as good at my work as any of the guys that work here and that I actually do harder work than this, so I’m very capable of doing so. Which would have gotten me in trouble at work for not giving good customer service. But instead I just swallowed my tongue and informed him that if he wanted one of the guys to help him then he would have to wait until he came back from his break.
    A way to reduce discrimination is to not judge others on their differences but to rather embrace them and learn more about them. We shouldn’t have one preference from another group or color because like the Human Genome Project showed is that human beings are 99.9% identical and that the only race is the human race. We need to stop judging others just because we might think that certain things the do are weird or who they are isn’t acceptable to us. We need to stop putting are views or thoughts, and harsh words on other people but rather just leave them alone and let them live their life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's sad to see the amount of discrimination that actually goes on. As an African-American female, I know what it feels like to be discriminated against because of race or ethnicity. I know that many other people experience this in their daily lives. I feel realy bad for Chaldians and the disrespect that they get from us here in the states. Although the news does a good job in making one single group look bad, there is always a rush of good. We are influenced by what we see in the media but we must come up with our own idea of someone based on a personal encounter, not what we see and hear. I have met PLENTY of Chaldians that are very nice and respectful toward others. The stereotypes that we place on people arehorrible and it isn't right. They are trying to better their lives and get away from issues that they had in their place of residence. There is nothing wrong with pursuing a better lifestyle. As Americans, I feel like it is hard for many people to understand that because we live in a country where there is equality and great living. We fail to see the outside, where women have little rights and are controlled by their men, or where people are working their butts off for very little opportunities. I think that we are uneducated on the real reason why people emigrate. One person can not tell you what a whole group is like. Chaldians deservethe same respect that we are supposed to give to each other, regardless of where they come from.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Discrimination has a major issue for us over the years and we just can't seem to get rid of it, no matter what we do. For instance, when I was in high school, people judge me on my appearance and personality. They think that I'm a bit of a nerd because I wear eyeglasses and I get called "four-eyes." Next, they think that I don't socialize with other races because they think I'm afraid of them or I don't hang out in a group of people. Also, they don't think that I have an interesting lifestyle because of my background and culture. I really don't need to be like anybody else, to get ahead in life. I just be myself and I don't ever consider myself a follower. I'm very open-minded about my lifestyle and I can give these people a reality check about how I am. I wear eyeglasses because my sight isn't too good and I can socialize with anybody who admires or respects my personality. Overall, I believe that the only way we can ever rid the entire world of discrimination is wait and keep on going. Time is the key to getting rid of discrimination. Prejudice is a generational thing that can only be corrected by time, since discrimination is lessening. I think if you just be yourself and people see that, they will treat you differently.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I began to consider the topic of discrimination several thoughts occurred to me. I first considered the last experience of discrimination I felt was directed at me. Then I considered the last time I viewed it directed at someone else, and what my reaction was to the situation. With regards to what happened to me, it was pretty basic and straight forward. I was waiting for a parking space in a Walmart parking lot in San Marcos. I don't live in that area, but was visiting friends and wanted to pick up Mother's Day cards before it got late. I was driving in the isle looking for a parking space. A woman had pointed to her car as I was passing by. There was no one else in the isle but me. So I pulled over and waited while she loaded her stuff and kids in her car. I felt pretty good about the great spot I was getting. Right as she began to back up, another car pulled around into the isle. The woman who was driving the second car began pointing at the spot and she rolled down her window to tell me,(cursing, using racial slurs and yelling), that it was her spot and I had better leave and find another one. Because she needed the spot more than I did and it didn't matter that I had gotten there first or that I had been waiting for it. She went on to say I better go and find another one somewhere else and did I want to make something of it. Needless to say I was floored. I couldn't believe her behavior. She was an older person with kids in the car. They saw and heard her behavior and she apparently had no problem cursing in front of them at me, a total stranger. I said nothing to her at any point. I just left the store's parking lot. I was angry, but I didn't react to her. Cause I kept thinking, you're going to the store to get cards. Cards that show appreciation for all the guidance and help the women in your life have gifted you. So how much did you really learn from them if you can't even handle someone like that? Needless to say, I found the cards at the Hallmark store in the same mall area across the parking lot. They were 75% off and realy great cards. Just goes to show following your heart is the best reward. But the experience helped to offer more clarity about how discrimination is taught. With regards to being directed at anoher person. I was talking with some teens who did not see the harm in labeling others with racially motivated names and slurs. I helped them clarify for themselves why that was inappropriate. I simply turned the tables and applied the same types of names to them so they could see why it was hurtfull. It was nice to see them decide for themselves what was inappropriate and why. It must be up to you to effect the change you want to see in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really do not understand anything that has to do with discrimination. I mean I know what it means to hate on anything else that isn’t like you. I just don’t understand why it’s a big deal. I absolutely understand that it definitely hurts from time to time. But it really isn’t anything to me. I definitely think different of anyone who isn’t like me. And I’ve had my share of name calling and segregated behavior towards me. But even at those real awkward moments I never felt awkward. It seemed as though they were definitely going out of their way to try and intimidate me. It was always just a joke. Don’t get me wrong if I see someone getting physically attacked no matter what the cause, I’ll stop it immediately. But I’m not going out of my way to stop someone from saying derogatory words towards someone who is similar in ethnicity or title or anything like that to me. People are always going to find a reason to take sides. Either it’s one way or another. I’d just rather stay neutral and laugh at the clowns who think making some one act the way they want is going to make things all the better. The only way it’s ever going to change is if it meant absolute death for anybody who even thinks of hating on others. And we all know that’s not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To my knowledge, I haven't been discriminated towards. That isn't to say that people haven't secretley discriminated me. I have grown up in Rancho San Diego, so I grew up with Chaldeans and people of all races. I think its is really important to grow up in an open, and not sheltered environment. I think there is two ways we can look at the recent news of the killing of Osama Bin Ladin. We can either direct out hatred for him towards people of middle eastern decent, or we can embrace it with open arms. It can bring our country together if we let it, but sadly that is not the direction most people are taking. Discrimination is a very serious issue that needs to be addressed, and not avoided. I don't think people, especially teenagers realize how much words can hurt people and that it's not okay to mean and hateful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As this chapter mentions, discrimination can be exercised against much more than race or country of origin. I can tell stories about being discriminated against simply because I live and went to school in El Cajon. I’ve grown up in El Cajon and even went to El Cajon Valley High. While in high school, a substitute teacher even put down the school. While wearing an ECVHS letterman’s jacket, I’ve had people yell obscenities from cars. I’ve heard college professors and coaches take shots at El Cajon. Now, as an adult, I hear insults all the time from co-workers and others. It’s rather amazing! I never knew people could be so angry at a local city and its population.
    But it really shouldn’t surprise me. Many people are looking to step on someone else to boost their ego. Whether it be misconceptions of race, gender or lifestyle, people who are afraid or ignorant will attempt to take a stance of power by making insults or put downs. It’s far easier to point out differences or inferiorities than to examine why someone may be different and the positives that can be found in those differences. But from these discriminations, I try to take a positive from them and learn something new, whether it be about myself, the person making the comment or some nugget of experience that can improve a future interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Discrimination happens to everyone and anyone that is from a different culture or race. I may be one of the lucky ones that hasn't been discriminated before and hopefully it stays that way because from the stories i've heard, they really do cause a lot of damage to a person. Especially if that person is very sensitive or just very easily to get mad or upset by any little thing they take as discriminating. And when discrimination does happen some people might not take it as a serious thing, but in reality it is because people have comitted suicide because they have been discriminated in a way that hurts them to the point of wanting to just not live anymore. Like an incident in which my older brother went through when he was walking on the sidewalk, was when a couple of police officers stopped him and started interogationg him and asking him if he was legal, or if he was in a gang and just very offensive questions, just because he was walking by a very nice neighborhood and he looked too suspicious because he was out of place, meaning that he was too dark to be from that neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Blogg 11
    el concepto de la diversidad apreciar y discriminación y los prejuicios todavía existen en muchas formas.
    Se debe a la ignorancia de las personas que estereotipan a la gente por su apariencia, forma de vestir o color y que no puden ver mas alla de los limites que ellos imponen, es como una falta de amor a los demas ya que todos venimos de la misma forma y algo que siempre he pensado es como puedes hacerle dano a alguien que se supone es igual que tu no puede ser que nuestra falta de aceptacion para con los demas y el respeto a las deciciones de cada persona nos lleven a tomar deciciones que lastimen a otros, un president de Mexico deijo que el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz y yo pienso que es cierto, tambien existe la discriminacion pore dad cuando te despiden de un trabajo por que consideran que tu rendimiento port u edad ya no es igual esto le paso a mi hermana y se sintio muy mal por mucho tiempo despues de haberle dedicado veinte años de su vida a esta compañia y ni siquiera fueron capaces de que le dieran la noticia personalmente si no cuando llego al trabajo en la recepcion le dieron la carta donde decia que era su ultimo dia en la compania. Tambien recuerdo el caso de una muchacha que fue discriminada racialmente por un muchacho espanol y la golpio en el trolley ante la Mirada atonita de los pasajeros, de alguna manera no estoy de acuerdo con la discriminacion ya que todos fuimos creados por Dios y todos somos iguales frente a sus ojos, el dijo amar los unos a los otros como yo los he amado.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I personally have experienced discrimination and in fact now experience discrimination to some degree. Currently I work with a male doctor who happens to be Asian. Often times the doctor will ask me business advice, but seems to have a hard time accepting what I have to say, because I am a woman. The reason I know this is because a male colleague could tell him the very same thing and he�ll think it�s the greatest idea ever! Now, I wouldn�t accuse my boss of discriminating against me�but he himself has admitted that it may have something to do with my gender and color of hair. Rude, I know.

    Regarding Osama bin Laden. Even though I am a Christian and believe Osama bin Laden needed to be held accountable for his actions, which were most definitely evil, I am not necessarily �happy� he is dead. Nor, do I feel the need to judge every person from the Middle East because of him. Personally I appreciate the diversity of our world�s cultures and only wish I could see what God sees. I get so offended when I hear people speak so poorly of people from different cultures in a negative way; after all we are all 99% identical.

    It is my personal opinion that the human race misses out on so much beauty in the world when he or she does not learn to accept, enjoy and maybe even embrace to some degree another�s culture.

    ReplyDelete